“Discovery is one of the wonderful benefits of friendship. What you don’t know before entering the relationship, you will discover as you go along.” - Joni Eareckson Tada
what you can do for 'one'
Advocates enter a person’s life to respond to that person's needs through an authentic and freely given relationship. A relationship can start with eagerness, excitement, and novelty. In time, that relationship deepens in trust and reciprocity.
- Share time with Initiates in activities and conversation
- Help their Initiate develop their talents and interests
- Assist in achieving a goal their Partner may have
- Bring their Partner into social, public, and community engagement
- Provide a sense of safety and belonging through moral support
Advocates will choose, along with their Partner, the personal investments, contents, and direction of the relationship. A growing number of relationships will have lasted a long time. However, some will be arranged for a specific, short-term purpose. Advocates will often benefit from such engagements as much as the person with disabilities.
Help us get to know you more as we discern your involvement by filling out the application below.